Deep Etch in Hair
Photoshop software offers many tools to edit photos. Clipping path is the best way for hard edges and situations where areas are divided in a definitive way. But in case of cutting out individual hair from a photography, it’s a waste of time.
The best thing to use in this case is to blend the image with background by using the technique called deep etching. But this is a very touch process and people who do not have experience can’t give you the expected results.
Hair, fur and nylon strands are fine details of an image. This element can be selected using the refine edge command in Photoshop. The refine edge command in Photoshop CS5 has received a complete revamp and that provided the selection to a great extent. The process that is used to change photo background with refining edge option is ideal for hair masking situation. Let’s walk you through the process here. Here is a quick run through of the process using the following steps.
- First, draw a rough selection around the pixel area using the command. You can deselect the problematic portion of hair & select the thick portions with no gaps between them.
- Select and place the background you desire to replace in a layer. You should put the layer on the canvas you will be working.
- Then use the refine edge tool. Select your viewing option with the colour that works for you. You can see a small preview showing the current view after you have finished the selection.
- On layers’ view mode you can find the Edge Detection selection directly below it.
- Begin dragging the radius of the edge detection & find that selection has more hair. You should be very careful with the tool as you might find the selection reveals the portion that you want in the image.
- Manual skills will come on to help that can manually adjust the radius with the refinement brush so the area around the hair wider width & other area has very minimal width.
- Next, see the Reveal layer view is in mode active. The original image returns in the document window this makes things it easy & just has to paint with the window that makes things with the refine radius tool.
- You can move on to the adjust edge options which make sure the smooth, feather & contrast to be the value is nothing.
- You find the image has a lot of fringing just adjust the Decontaminate colour option in the output section.
- If you want, you can clean the layer mask what you feel is necessary
- After ready the image you appearing on a new background with perfect hair masking done.
As deep etching is a very tough process you can also use the Blending option in the layer palette. Either read or go through a Photoshop video tutorial. It is a pretty new way of doing the cutting.